Fort Casey was one of three forts overlooking Puget Sound built in 1897. The forts, which overlook the traits of Juan de Fuca, the entry to Puget Sound, had massive concrete bunkers with canon for naval defense. In the subsequent 100 years the abandoned concrete defensive structures and barracks weathered into a state of derelict disrepair.
The odd appearance of stairs going nowhere, huge concrete walls, massive steel doors and gloomy passages makes for interesting images. Cracks in the concrete seemingly “bleed” white salts due to water intrusion and chemical reactions within the cement. Fort Casey also has great views of Puget Sound and is home to Admiralty Head Lighthouse.
Admiralty Head Lighthouse